Thematic Essay Question
****Tip: When crafting your essay, ask yourselves the question; "how can we make this essay argumentative?".
Theme: Change — Industrialization
During the 19th century, the United States experienced tremendous industrial growth. This industrial growth resulted in many changes in American life.
Identify two changes in American life that resulted from industrial growth in the United States and for each change
• Explain how industrialization contributed to this change
• Discuss one positive or one negative effect of this change on American life
You may use any appropriate change in American life that resulted from industrial growth. Some suggestions you might wish to consider include increased immigration, new inventions or technologies, growth of labor unions, growth of monopolies, growth of reform movements, and increased urbanization.
You are not limited to these suggestions.
Guidelines: In your essay, be sure to:
• Develop all aspects of the task
• Support the theme with relevant facts, examples, and details
• Use a logical and clear plan of organization, including an introduction and a conclusion that are beyond a restatement of the theme